Thursday, April 26, 2012

Archive - Induction as Associate Chapter Member of American Gold Star Mothers (Dogwood Chapter), January 22, 2011 (added April 26, 2012)

After the New Year, my driver and I joined the Gold Star Mothers, Blue Star Mothers, Rolling Thunder, Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association, Operation Helping Hands for Heroes, and other organizations to recover and honorably dispose of the wreaths from Wreaths Across America. At that time, Julie Southerland asked my driver if I could attend a Gold Star Mother meeting. My driver told me I had a meeting to go to on January 22. I wasn’t particularly interested until he said “… and we’re taking the Harley.” That got my interest.

On the morning of the meeting, it was cold, but we rode the Harley because that’s what we do. My mom followed in the cage. We arrived at Julie Webb’s house for the meeting of the American Gold Star Mothers – Dogwood Chapter. Julie has a dog and two cats, so I enjoyed sniff-learning about her fur-kids for a few minutes.

Before the meeting, my mom and my driver talked with Susan McClamrock and Christi Kazakavage, who talked about their sons. My driver was sitting on the floor, so I sat next to my driver so he could pet me because I knew the conversation was bothering him.

Paula Spivey presented me with a certificate making me an Associate Chapter Member for my service to our veterans and their families. At first, I was surprised because I’m a male and I don’t have any puppies, that I know of. I sniffed the certificate, which smelled honorable. They also gave me a GSM coin and a white bandana with a gold star. Now, if anyone does a coin challenge with me, the GSM coin trumps any coin out there! My driver and I were humbled by this honor.

<><><><> <> <><> <><> <> <><> <><> <>
Receiving my Associate Chapter Member Certificate

<><><><> <> <><> <><> <> <><> <><> <>
Receiving my Gold Star Mother Coin
I also met Fred Atkins and received a copy of his book “I Live in the Greatest Country”, which he autographed. During the meeting Fred talked about the Dixie Deer Classic, March 4-6. He obtained a booth at no cost, and the Gold Star Mothers plan to staff the booth, inform people about the GSM, and accept donations. My driver and I volunteered to park my Harley in the booth and let people take photos (using their own camera) with me for any donation amount. If you plan to attend the Dixie Deer Classic, please stop at the booth and chat with the Gold Star Mothers.
<><><><> <> <><> <><> <> <><> <><> <>
Wearing my new Gold Star bandana
For those who do not know what a Gold Star Mother and Blue Star Mother is, that's OK. I'll explain.
  •   A Blue Star Mother has a child who is serving or has served in our military.
  •  A Gold Star Mother's child gave her/his life while in service to our country.
God Bless our Fallen Heroes, our Gold Star Mothers, those serving now, those who served, their families, and our Allies.

I’ll see you on the road. Ride safe and keep your tongue in the wind!

Chewy


No comments:

Post a Comment